Friday, June 6, 2008

All the way to Virgina

So, over Memorial Day weekend, I went to Virginia with Jeanne, my mother-in-law. We had a great time and definitely got our fill of history. We flew into Richmond on Thursday and drove to Williamsburg and ate dinner at this all you can eat seafood restaurant. It was great. Although a little challenging with my diet. I stuck to steamed shrimp and grilled or boiled seafood. I think I did pretty good. That night we crashed hard after a long day of traveling with a very early morning.


Everywhere we went it was kind of difficult to keep track of where we were because every road seemed to be lined with large trees. We were driving in a tunnel of sorts. Very different from the sage brush of Idaho. It was kind of hypnotic in a way. I can't imagine fighting any kind of a war in this type of environment.




On Friday we spent the day in Colonial Williamsburg. It was fun. We did a lot of walking and saw a lot of actors in period clothing which was really fun. We got to listen to Martha Washington speak (although I was so tired I fell asleep....kind of). I loved all the gardens and we got to see real magnolia blossoms on a magnolia tree. I loved it. I especially loved the bridges. Beautiful! That night we drove to Virgina Beach. (I know what you're thinking, it's Memorial Day weekend! Are you crazy!?!) Well, by the time we got to the beach, it was pretty empty. Only the people on the streets were in a bit of a festive mood. We walked along the beach and I choose to walk in the water. So peaceful and relaxing. I can definitely see the draw.



On Saturday, we started out at Jamestown, the actual site where archaeological dig is taking place. Very interesting. Then we drove to Jamestown, the tourist attraction. Very different and perfect for schools and children, but it didn't really hold our attention very long because we'd seen the actual site first. Finally we drove to Yorktown museum which was interesting and kind of similar to Jamestown tourist site. Then we went to the Yorktown battlefield where we were momentarily confused to find Civil War reenactors on the battlefield. Kind of cool really. We got to see George Washington's tent he actually used. By the end of that, we were overflowing with history and ready for a break....so Olive Garden it was. Perfect.






On Sunday, we traveled to Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson and it was worth the trip. It was very beautiful. And I learned so much about him. He was in his early 30's when we wrote the Declaration of Independence. So young! His plantation is amazing. It sits on top of a mountain and is surrounded by trees so it's hidden from everyone. I recommend this stop to anyone! That evening we drove back to Richmond and found our hotel so we can start the long trip back home early the next morning. Needless to say we were exhausted the next day. All in all it was a great way to spend the Memorial weekend.

No comments: